The National Academy is guided by these core values:
- Leadership - As proven leaders in public administration, the Academy's Fellows make a positive and lasting difference to the field through their distinguished public service and scholarship.
- Independence - Intellectual freedom and nonpartisan expertise are hallmarks of the Academy's work.
- Integrity - The Academy uses objective research and rigorous analysis to offer timely advice, solid recommendations, and strategies for change at every level of government.
- Public Service - Having dedicated much of their lives to the public trust, the Academy's Fellows have demonstrated the highest standards of excellence and accomplishment in managing vital programs in the public interest.
- Innovation - The Academy provides creative and practical assistance to contemporary challenges.
- Connecting People and Ideas - The Academy connects people and groups with diverse views and ideas for the shared purpose of improving the performance of public institutions.
- Global Perspective - The Academy advances the principles of effective governance in nations throughout the world and seeks ways that stable, democratic institutions can learn from each other, creating a more efficient and effective public sector.